July 26, 2019

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE FROM BAYOU CUISINE



This post is about two favorites!
My favorite of all-time cookbook and...
German Chocolate Cake!


A good baker is sure to have German Chocolate Cake in her list of
most requested recipes!


When the darling and I married in 1972,
we were gifted a cookbook which featured many divine
recipes from the Indianola Delta...his family personally knew
many contributors to Bayou Cuisine.
Over the years, I made several recipes from this cookbook
and due to lots of use, the binding seemed to unravel and I think
I had to finally discard the pages in one of our moves!
I have been so sorry I didn't save it as this cookbook
became the recipes that were my family favorites!


Not too long ago, I was able to find a used copy on Amazon
and was over-the-moon when I was once again the owner
of this marvelous Indianola cookbook!
I read it from cover to cover, marking favorites and those recipes from people I knew!
I love used cookbooks and find the most interesting little keepsakes from time to time.
This bookmark was marking the page of German Chocolate Cake
and so it was meant to be baked this very day!
This brings back very special memories for me and our early marriage!


There is almost nothing better, than freshly baked cake served warm
from the oven......along with a cold glass of milk!


It's the little things in life isn't it?


10 comments:

  1. Betsy, I am so glad you found a book to replace the one that you wore out. How wonderful is that? ! You are a great cook. My mother -in - law made German Chocolate cake many times. As a matter of fact I had never tasted it before she made it . She was a fabulous cook...cooking for farm hands as a young girl helped. LOL I so enjoy the way you treat your husband , making his favorite recipes. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good, I will have to make one soon. Please share more especially that pineapple cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! That poem in the third photo, just paints a picture in my mind. A small cabin deep in the swamp lands with a swing in the yard for the children and one on the porch for Mom and Dad. Spanish moss hanging from every branch and the sound of birds and crickets filling the air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing! God smiled when you found that cookbook!! I know he did!
    German Chocolate was my mother's favorite cake and it is my step son's favorite, too. I tried so hard to find a bakery one for his last birthday but Collin Street Bakery was out. I am printing this off now and next May will make it at home and bring it down for his birthday! We can always count on you for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that poem and recipe. Do you think the book is worth $25? I think I found one on Amazon.
    I so look forward your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes, I think so. How wonderful to find a copy of the recipe book that had meant so much. Lots of history there. Was the cake as good as you remembered?

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJuly 26, 2019

    yes.
    it's the little things in life. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh- Now my mouth is just watering for a piece of that cake. I said to my son yesterday, "I had my mouth all set for a piece of banana cake and it's all gone.". Well, I have never heard him get such a kick of anything I have said more than that. He said, "Mom, NO ONE ELSE would say they had their mouth set for something!" lol Well, I did and I meant it. lol

    I am so glad you found your cookbook online. I found an old Pillsbury cookbook that I used for years when my kids were little. It all came apart and my daughter found a used copy online, gave me the 'new' one and took the one that was falling apart and had all my notes in it. One day, I suppose one of my grandgirls will have it to remember me. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thrilled to find this cookbook Mechelle...it had been a wedding gift and had recipes that I prepared for years from the beginning of our marriage. I knew the contributors and it is from a town that my in-laws were from...so yes, it was worth the price to me! This is a cookbook from almost 50 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this was mr. sweets favorite cake on the planet...my mama made the very best !!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.