January 20, 2024

A FRIGID WINTER WEEK...LET'S TALK RECIPES, BOOTS AND BOOKS

Well, my kindred spirits....
Texas has been REALLY COLD this week...
as has much of the country....
we were at 11 degrees most days......
with a light dusting of snow......
this is a peek into our days....

What is the secret to living a cozy life in the winter season?
How do you keep balance in your life?
Perhaps the secret is to be purposeful..be present in what
you are doing..ensure your thoughts are all there.....
bring comfort to those you love....



We were blessed with a visit from granddaughter, Abbie..
she was in town for coaching her select Volleyball team
and dropped by to visit before the winter artic blast rolled in..
she made it safely home and for that, we are thankful...
we were able to talk about wedding plans for a  good hour....



I love seasonal dinnerware..and fell in love with this pattern from Bico....
What could be more perfect for winter dining than a sweet
Nordic village scene....

Create a "serve yourself" cozy spot in the dining room
for afternoon tea or hot cocoa



Speaking of hot tea.....
this holiday blend from Harney and Sons is lovely
for sipping during cold winter afternoons.....

And, I love candlelight and seasonal scents....
this is a Harry Slatkin called WOODLAND CABIN....
notes of Nordic Spruce, Cypress and Frosted Mint.....

THE COMFORT FOOD

 
There is nothing more enriching than serving a hot
delicious dinner to family.....
on this evening, it was just what we needed....
butter and brown sugar baby carrots.....



A wild rice, mushroom and spinach casserole topped
with a buttery puff pastry.....
recipe link below.....



It was heavenly to linger over dinner and talk about
our day and world events.....


And, I ask you...what can be more
comforting than a homemade banana pudding....
there is nothing better than a creamy homemade custard
poured over lemon kissed bananas and vanilla wafers...
a true southern classic.....



Nothing short of a masterpiece.....
served slightly warm.....
Recipe link below....

SOUTHERN BANANA PUDDING




It's proved to be a comfortable evening.....



I am thinking alot about the wedding scheduled for October....
and, I purchased my very first pair of western boots....
why not? I am into my senior years, but still want to be fashionable......
and truth be told, I am kind of excited about the fashion
I am planning for the rehearsal dinner.....

On my bucket list for entertainment.....


I am so looking forward to this premier....
The eight-episode season is based on the bestselling book 
Capote's Women:
 A True Story of Love, Betrayal, and a Swan Song for an Era
 by Laurence Leamer.



I have always been a fan of Truman Capote and remember
this time of this life when he befriended some of the
most well known New York socialites....
this is going to be a delicious read......



When your spirits need refreshing....
take pictures of your beloved family members....
rest your mind in their comfort moments.....


It's such a good thing to hibernate..
these are the days to take time to be a little leisurely..
there are only 61 days until spring.





6 comments:

  1. That banana pudding looks amazing! We have a few cold days but we are able to get outside whenever we want. Moving to the deep South as been great for us. Love all of your cozy ideas though! You have a beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wild rice sausage casserole looks so delicious, as does that banana pudding. I love your new candle, woodland cabin. You know, I just saw a segment on tv about Harney & Son's teas, and I've been wanting to get some. The holiday blend sounds wonderful. A sweet picture of your granddaughter, and I'm glad you got to visit with her recently. Yes, these are the days where we hibernate, slow down the pace, and enjoy the snow and glistening world around us. They don't last long, and they are some of the prettiest days here in northern California. Your window picture is delightful - I just love window photos. And the photo of your cat next to the fire looks so cozy. Enjoy this Winter season, Betsy.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for including the links to the recipes. I am ready to try the Sausage Wild Rice Casserole - looks yummy!
    This is a very enjoyable post, with lots of interesting things to explore. That photo of your kitty in
    front of the fireplace has to be a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your recipes! I think I have made two dozen or more 'Crack Cakes' since you posted your recipe!
    It will be fun to see what all you have in mind to go with those boots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO much loveliness in this post!!! 1) those dishes!!! be still my heart....going to search them right now!
    2) will you tell me how you did those carrots?? We have them coming out of our ears from the garden...covered them during ice and they grew twice in quantity! 3) prolly gonna make your wild rice dish tomorrow 4)cannot wait to see that new series....help me remember once it comes on, plz!!! 5) that baby!!! ms. Lucy!!! what a precious fur baby you have there!!
    Supposed to heat up tomorrow...thank goodness! Need to get outside for some physical activity instead of eating all day long cooped up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janey...the carrots are so easy...boil until soft, then melt butter and brown sugar over them...no measuring...simply to taste

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.