February 15, 2022

OLD FASHIONED BUTTERMILK PRUNE CAKE

Good Morning Loves....
hope all is well in your corner of the world....
Have I got a treat for y'all today!
Maybe your memory will be the same as mine, in this case!

Back in the 1950's and 1960's, when I grew up....

we had marvelous school lunches...they were balanced,
nutritious and properly portion controlled.

We had dedicated women who actually planned, cooked,
baked and served our meals.
Our lunches were popular among all the students and faculty!
During the season, menu's would change and there were
certain favorites that just stayed with you well into
adulthood.....and I found a real treasure of a dessert recipe to
feature in today's post!

This recipe is from Miss Lori, who has a delightful
You Tube channel. She is a former
school cafeteria chef who often features some
recipes from the past...

I very fondly recall a Spice Cake that
was served in the fall season and actually
RENAMED ,, Sugar Plum Cake during Christmas!
This cake is a Buttermilk Prune Cake
that I learned to make in Cooking Class in college,
and uses baby food prunes...I think that's what
made it taste exactly like it did back during school days.... 
I am over the moon happy to finally find an authentic
Lunchroom recipe that brings back a childhood favorite!



BUTTERMILK PRUNE CAKE
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup oil 4 eggs 1/2 cup buttermilk 1 t. baking soda 2 cups AP Flour 1 t. allspice 1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves 1 t. vanilla 8 oz. Baby food prunes
Mix dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil and buttermilk to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Gently fold in the baby food prunes. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes


BUTTERMILK GLAZE 1 cup sugar 1 t. water 1/2 t. baking soda 1/2 cup buttermilk 1/4 cup butter 1/2 t. vanilla
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Boil for 2 minutes and pour hot glaze over warm cake straight from the oven.


2 comments:

  1. Oh I love watching Miss Lori and ponder making many of her school recipes. My school cook was very conscientious, but she created some bizarre menu combinations. We still laugh over spaghetti served with peanut butter sandwiches. I'm sure that Miss Lori would never do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betsy,

    I'm SO glad to see this recipe here!! My mom made prune cake many years ago; she got the recipe from an African-American woman she worked with. I was about 10 or 12 at the time, and I remember thinking, "Yuck, prune cake?!" :D :D Boy was I wrong -- it was delish! The longer it was refrigerated, the better it tasted -- moist and flavorful. We, too, had good school lunches; I was so disappointed when I saw what they served at our son's schools when he was growing up. The school I attended in high school actually had homemade pan rolls; we could smell them every morning around 10:00 a.m., which made it hard to concentrate in class until lunchtime. :) Thanks for this post and for bringing back good memories. Times were not perfect then, but so much better than now in many ways.

    I hope you have a great week, Betsy, and I'll be pinning this recipe!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.