July 19, 2016

SUMMER BLUEBERRY HAND PIES



There are SO many things to LOVE about Summer!
Fresh fruits, like peaches, watermelon and berries are among them.
I adore anything with blueberries, don't you?


So...with the berries in mind,
I thought it was the perfect day to make
little berry hand pies.
These days, I am cooking and baking for TWO,
so petite hand pies are the perfect serving size
when we have a sweet ending!


SUMMER BLUEBERRY HAND PIES
 1 refrigerated pie crust
2 cups blueberries
Zest of 1 lemon
¼ cup sugar
1 large egg plus 1 t. water, for egg wash
Sugar, for sprinkling


Roll out pie crust and cut out each disk of dough to about ¼ inch thick. Cut into 4-5 inch rounds or whatever size you prefer. One pie crust made five individual pies.

Toss the blueberries, lemon zest and sugar together in a bowl. Place a large spoonful of the mixture onto each round. Wet the tip of your finger with cold water and run it along the edge of each round. Fold half of the round over on top of itself (creating a half-moon shape) and press the edges firmly together.  

Brush each hand pie with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Place on a baking sheet pan and bake at 375 degrees F. for 30-35 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.



I plan to publish many more recipes that
will be more suitable for two people...
it's taken me a while to do this since I was
accustomed to preparing meals for a large family.
I hope you try making little pies...
homemade can be so rustic and eye-pleasing...
Estelle's goal was to inspire you to
cook and to bake...create something delicious and wonderful...
it can make life so joyful! 

5 comments:

  1. Oh I do love hand pies and blueberry pie is my favorite. If I could freeze four and only eat one... Self control is not my strong suit. =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those looks so tasty Betsy. I would love a wee pie all to myself. LOL. A good cup of coffee to go with it. Delicious. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deary, What a blueberry gem you have shared today... Yummy and I think I will give this a whirl.
    I sent your Hot Chicken Salad treasure to my oldest grnaddaughter for her book she is getting for her birthday that her Mother is making her! From Estelle xo Thinking of you!
    Love, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look good, been wanting to make so little ones. Sometimes I got a bit of fruit and this would be perfect. Thanks for sharing with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way, to make a "smaller amount" of Pie. I can't eat any, and my husband has to be on a low fat diet, so I shy away from making him a whole Pie. But these would be quite perfect.

    I can still use my home made crust, which he wants. But could make all sorts of Little Pies! Thank you!

    Oh yes, "For 2" recipes would be lovely.

    Although we tend to make enough, for a "left-over meal." Which we can freeze and have available, at a later time.

    Do give us "Meals For 2" though, please.

    Stay cool hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.