January 1, 2023

WARM CHOCOLATE PUDDING....A WINTER COMFORT TREAT

It's Winter.....
a New Year to live our best life....
what shall we do?
What plans shall will make?
I changed a few things for the new year of 2023....
for starters, I went back to an old favorite by
selecting a Susan Branch, HEART OF THE HOME calendar.
it felt good to change it up a bit.... 
I love her art and the bits of nostalgic wisdom she shares...



 I remember as a child, when Mother would turn the heat on before
we had even gotten out of bed in the morning...
we had floor registers which we would stand over before breakfast...
the warm heat would billow out my nightgown as I stood over the register....
it felt marvelous....


I like this advice...BE A HOMEBODY....
I most certainly am and find myself to be okay with that title.....
A cold day calls for something warm and comforting....
I want to grab a deliciously cozy throw....a good book..
eat tomato soup with grilled cheese for lunch...
enjoy a glass of wine in the evening and treat
myself to a serving of warm chocolate pudding...
topped with meringue and a sprinkling of graham crackers.....



MAKING CHOCOLATE PUDDING
2 large egg yolks...save the whites
2 T. cornstarch
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 t. salt
1/4 cup butter
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. espresso powder


In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until fluffy,
whisk in cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk...set aside.

Place the sugar, cocoa, salt and 1 3/4 cup milk in saucepan
and bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly.
Spoon about 2 T. of the chocolate mixture into the egg yolks
and whisk to temper.
Add the yolks to the chocolate pudding mixture and 
continue to heat for about two minutes.
Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla.
Pour into ramekins.

Beat the two egg whites into stiff peaks.
Add 1/8 cup sugar.
Spoon meringue over tops of puddings.
Bake in 350 degree oven until  tops are brown.

January is the month of hope and new beginnings....
I updated our guest bath before Christmas so that
Miss M and her family would have a fresh new bathroom
to enjoy while visiting over the holidays.....



I went all white with touches of black....
and I loved the look.....



Small touches of luxury can make a big difference....
It's important to feed our souls with good things...
Wishing you all the best for 2023.....

12 comments:

  1. You certainly touched my soul with that post. A new beginning filled with comfort - that's what I want for my 2023. I am SO gonna make that chocolate pudding! Now, that's what I call comfort. A Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you a beautiful New Year ahead Latane....I think you will enjoy the pudding recipe...easy and delicious

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog. It's absolutely beautiful! And your pudding recipe looks yummy!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Homemaker 424.....I appreciate your visit to Estelle's...have a lovely 2023!

      Delete
  3. Nice blog and nice recipe !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Catherine....thank you for stopping by today...I wish you a very Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. Susan Branch is one of my most favorites! Mary Englebreit as well. Your reminiscing with the heat registers brought back my memories of backing up to one of those old old gas heaters that had fire bricks. My brother and sister and I took turns pushing each other out of the way to warm our backsides. :) I really enjoy your blog and beautiful photos. Your style reminds me so much of a super special friend of mine that I refer to as my Martha Stewart friend. Like you, her style is beautiful and stylish and so inviting. God bless your new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy..welcome to Estelle's....how lovely to receive such a kind comment from you....thank you so very much...I love that you shared your own childhood memory with us....I loved reading this....wishing you a healthy, happy and joyful New Year!

      Delete
  5. For me Winter is my favorite season. Admittedly, we have mild Winters and the bearable temps make outdoor activities more enjoyable. I do lots of chores and maintenance during the milder months and have hired a couple to clean-up the yards and wash the outside windows and mailbox. I know this is opposite of those who do Spring chores, but weather dictates. Your pictures of holiday food and family celebrations were lovely. Enjoy your quiet times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter in Florida.....we experienced that for about eight years Eileen...I can relate to turning over chores to others who are able to help those of us who find it a bit of challenge.....wishing you a lovely and healthy New Year!

      Delete
  6. thats my exact same recipe for my family renowned chocolate pies!!! I didn't even realize there was someone else who still makes pudding the old fashioned way. My recipe came from my husbands grandmother and now I'm the only one left who makes it this way....and I love it like that!! I use the old timey Dream Whip for my topping tho....

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. love the new Estelle's sign on your sideboard.....did you make it???

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.