January 16, 2023

GERMAN APPLE CAKE from ANNIE DEAN'S KITCHEN


 


Hello Kindred Spirits and welcome back to Estelle's!
Today, I am sharing  classic German Apple Cake
which is from the recipe file of Mrs. Annie Dean...
one of my Mother's best friends, and also of mine.
I learned so much from her.....she was a refined southern belle
who loved to cook, decorate her home and entertain!
Annie Dean hosted one of my bridal showers and tolerated
me following her around her kitchen, watching her prepare
delicious foods for her family!


We visited their home often and their daughter
was the best friend of my older sister.
They allowed me to tag along to their tea parties, football games
and their college days.
There was always something in the middle of being reupholstered
or updated...she was a master of homemaking!


This is the exact room which hosted my bridal shower....
I remember this being a lovely, outstanding party....



This was their kitchen nook and I shared many casual lunches here
with my Mother and sister...she could serve peanut butter and mayonnaise
sandwiches and make them taste divine....



I was thrilled when I came across the photos of the kitchen...
exactly as I remember it to be....
I can picture her standing here, stirring a little pot of homemade
chocolate sauce to go over ice cream....


Oh the wonderful memories of this family and her
delightful laugh and entertaining she shared....
You must try her apple cake...it's a gem of a recipe!



GERMAN APPLE CAKE

3 large eggs, room temperature

2 cups sugar

1 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 cups chopped peeled tart apples

3/4 cup chopped pecans


FROSTING:

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened

2 teaspoons butter, softened

2 cups confectioners' sugar

 

 In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Fold in apples and nuts. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 55-60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

 In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter.
 Add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.
 Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers.



4 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to have such grand memories? I have a dear friend who was a mentor to me in all things and I have two wonderful recipes from her that I still use 35+ years later! They are treasure to me.

    This cake sounds really good, and I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice to read about your mother's (and your) dear friend. I remember so well all my mother's friends and their various kitchens and the recipes those women were famous for. Sure would like to have some of Audrey's fried chicken or Carol's cauliflower salad. ☺️

    Annie's home is lovely. I especially like the look of a table pulled up to a window that way—so charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great memories last a lifetime. Thanks for sharing the recipe for the German Apple Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a charming kitchen this is. Love all the yellow in it. So nice that you have pleasant memories of visiting your friend's house. I remember a few friends' houses growing up as well. The memories become a part of us, and last us through a lifetime. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.