July 6, 2020

CELEBRATING AMERICA and TWO OF OUR FAVORITE SUMMER SALADS


A look back at July in Maine...
one of the many historical beauties....


July 4th was very quiet here in Texas.......


we of course touched base with all the kiddos who
were staying home and smoking ribs and brisket...
everyone is trying to social distance and stay safe...
it's been A LONG TIME in doing this.....


The puzzle master at the beginning....


I entertained myself by searching cupboards to see what
fall treasures I had...and it was like finding old friends.
I want to lay it all out in front of me so that I can begin
to design vignettes 
(in my mind) in various places around the house....
I mean with our new normal.....I can certainly find
ways to entertain myself!
I now can enjoy looking at some of my collections for
the next month or so before I begin the transformation
into fall....with somewhat anxious apprehension......
what will it look like...school, football, Halloween,
Thanksgiving and even Christmas....it's such an unknown......

FOOD FARE


We enjoyed a lunch of BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches
topped with a tangy coleslaw and a side of stuffed celery, dill pickles
and Blue Cheese stuffed celery!


This is a delicious and light Pasta Salad which is
an all time favorite for hot Summer months......

TUSCAN TORTELLINI SPINACH SALAD

1 lb. fresh cheese tortellini

1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil

2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar

1/2 tbsp. honey

 Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

3/4 c. chopped prosciutto

1/2 c. baby spinach

1/2 c. fresh grape tomatoes

1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan

 

In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain and transfer to large serving bowl.

Make dressing: Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey and season with salt and pepper.

To bowl, add prosciutto, spinach, tomatoes and dressing and toss until well combined. Garnish with Parmesan.



This recipe is a jello salad but it can easily be served
for a light Summer dessert.....it's pretty addicting.....really darn good!


CREAMSICLE JELLO SALAD

1 3-ounce box orange jello
1 3-ounce box cook and serve vanilla pudding
1 3-ounce box cook and serve Tapioca pudding
3 cups cold water
1 tub of Cool Whip
1 large can Mandarin Oranges, drained
Mini Marshmallows

Combine all three boxes of dry mix in a saucepan.
Add  cups of cold water and stir constantly while bringing to a boil.
Boil for 1 minute until mixture has thickened. 
Allow to cool completely.
Add cool whip to cool jello/pudding mixture.
Fold in mandarin oranges and mini marshmallows.
Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve!


Fresh Blueberry Lemonade Margarita's...oh my, my!!!!


The Summer Strawberries....


paired beautifully with 
Milk and Cookies Ice Cream


We have three family birthdays this month...
and not one party shall be had!


8 comments:

  1. Looks like your quiet 4th of July was just lovely!!!

    BBQ Pulled Chicken! Something new to me. Thank you for the idea.

    I'm loving old fashioned Jell-O this summer. But since my husband does not like Cool Whip, it's just regular Jell-O with fruit in it. Still yummmmmy.

    We find whatever we enjoy, to get us through this horrible Wuhan Virus Pandemic Time. For you, it's looking into your Autumn Stash. And a fun idea that is.

    Here, it has been Making-A-New-Friend of E-books on my Kindle! Always used the library a lot. But have found "The Fussy Librarian" site, which sends a daily e-mail, telling of free E-book suggestions. And they are being enjoyable. I don't really want to buy a lot of E-books, so this is nice.

    My husband has to use his kindle with E-books, since his eyesight got worse. For him, I buy the books he wants to read. -smile- But I read much faster, so my Free ones, are a blessing.

    💚

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks tasty and good for hot summer days. I like the quiet at times. Let's us think. Your husband is so good at doing puzzles. Does he do more than one at a time? I like the new header photos. Blessings, xoxo, Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 06, 2020

    oh Betsy! this post is wonderful. the first video ended too soon! it was so relaxing.
    and thank you for the Creamsicle recipe! the entire post just made me smile.
    stay safe darling bean. this virus pandemic surely can't last forever! xoxo
    and hug the most beautiful cat in the world for me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipes sound delicious. And they look amazing. Everything is so colorful! I have to laugh because I'm just starting to pull out my summer stuff! I guess I'm a little behind. I like the new header photos, too. I love puzzles. Each piece connected to another to make a beautiful picture. I pray for our country to come together. Happy Birthday to your family members!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get over how fast your husband can do a puzzle. Does he work on them for hours and hours? I have one spread out on the den table. Like I think someone is going to come along and work it! Summer was here while we were at the ranch but she had other projects to do. Used to, my kids would come by and help me from time to time. Not so much these last 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is surely different this year. Sigh...hoping by Thanksgiving and Christmas that things are more 'normal.'

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really is an odd year. You made some delicious treats and now that you have mentioned "salad," I'm going looking for that salad you make that I love. It's faster to find it here rather than my disorganized recipe box. 😉 You found the Pilgrims! Okay, this is where I just shake my head because up heah we have just landed in summer. Here's to a pleasant July, not too hot, not too dry, not too lonely, not too dull, and definitely not too exciting. Thank you for a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made your creamsicle jello recipe this week and served it as dessert with fresh blueberries on top. Yummy! And there are so many more of your recipes I will try. Enjoy your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.