May 17, 2023

PLANNING FOR THE SUMMER SEASON

This is gonna be such fun...
I am so ready to welcome the next few months
which will bring on the Summer season....
remember that feeling you had as a child
when it was the last day of school and you
could anticipate three months of fun...
playing outdoors all day long....
vacations with family, visiting your grandparents
and watching your favorite TV shows....freedom....
Summer meant visiting the Farmer's Market
and bringing home bags of fresh produce
for those suppers of all vegetables....



this is a very favorite memory of mine....
tomatoes, corn, squash and peaches......
it was A DAY AT THE MARKET with Mother.....
So, with this in mind, I am creating
this Summer décor series with 
THE FARMER'S MARKET theme.....



I scoured my cupboards for particular pieces I wanted to 
display throughout the summer months and I think it's
going to be great...vivid colors and pieces that I so love using
from time to time......



I caught a glimpse of these canisters on a blog and it was love
at first sight....I found an entire set on Ebay, but they were way too
pricey, so lo and behold, I found a set of two on Etsy for a much
better price....they are just gorgeous!



And added these adorable and colorful rooster
salt and pepper shakers....



I felt so fortunate to find a set of two canisters....
I am just thrilled with these set....so lesson learned....
shop around a bit before buying....



We are going to enjoy this little vignette all summer long.....


I am going to come up with a delicious and cool appetizer dip
for this little set....perfect for grilling burgers one evening....


Oh yes honey....I know Miss Linda Chapman hears me on this one....
SUNFLOWERS....this is the chosen flower during summer.....
I hope the arrangement turns out as pretty as I have it pictured in my mind....



Love it....these will last into the fall season too.....



Pierre the Pig is dressed for the season also...my Sous Chef in training!
Do you know the few times we sold our homes, so many people
wanted to buy him?????


On the reading list for Summer are these three paperbacks.....

THE TELEPHONE BOX LIBRARY...
Lucy finds herself stranded....in a little village known as Maudley..
the houses are glowing, they feature honey-colored terraces that
curve down narrow hill towards main street...each house had a name...
Bell Cottage, Lavender House, The Old Mill with Wisteria
climbing over each house....
an uplifting tale about falling in love with the charms of village life
while holding on to a secret she has kept for decades......

AGONY OF THE LEAVES....
this book has just the right blend of cozy fun and clever plotting.
The opening of the aquarium is a major Charleston event
and Theodosia has been hired to cater the private party
filled with big buck donors..
and wouldn't you know....Theodosia's former boyfriend
is found in the aquarium drowned......

MURDER ON CAPE COD...
Summer is the busy season for Almieida's bike shop,
which is nestled in the quaint seaside hamlet
of Westham, Massachusetts....
as the tourists arrive, she discovers the body of Jake Lacey....,
her ever faithful handyman...
she enlists the help of her book club to find
the truth in this cozy seaside mystery.....



I am very much looking forward to planting
my Lavender Rose of Sharon...
I have looked for one everywhere and finally
found one from my fellow Mississippian, Phillip Watson....
I have wanted one ever since I saw these on Ms. Elizabeth's ranch....
 
I plan on making a fabulous summer salad...
Stone Fruit and Heirloom Tomato Salad...
which features nectarines, plums, peaches along
with heirloom tomatoes and feta cheese...
blended with a champagne vinaigrette....
sounds amazing doesn't it?



So summer is going to be full of delightful recipes,
party planning and seasonal style....hope you can join me!








3 comments:

  1. I love it all! The red pieces are so charming, and sometimes I really miss red in the kitchen. There's nothing like a farmer's market theme. Sunflowers just say, welcome Summer. Your fruit salad is perfect for the warm months coming up. And I'd love to see your rose bush in full bloom. I'm not much of a Summer person because of the heat, and prefer the Fall and Winter, but after a very cold Winter with snow, it's nice to have warmth again. Looking forward to all the goodies you share this Summer, Betsy. You have so many wonderful ideas.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know my heart well! I dearly love sunflowers and have a garden full of them at home already blooming! The ones here at the ranch will be blooming soon! I have no idea why I used to wait until fall to decorate with them. I am looking forward to your recipes for the summer! This weekend I am going to make one of your potato salads and we are cooking a ham to go with it! Your Crack Cake is still an all-time favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got me excited for summer! I always end up with a red, white, and blue theme for summer! It's fun! I love your sunflowers and I know Linda loves them, too! It's a great way to flow into autumn!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.