March 18, 2021

ESTELLE'S FRENCH ONION SOUP

We simply love French Onion Soup...
if it's on the menu, we almost always will order some
for a starter or even a light lunch!
Believe it or not, when I actually thought about it,
I can't remember making it myself!
So, I started researching many, many versions
of this savory soup and there are all kinds
of preferences out there.... 
from the types of onions used, to different herbs,
and topped with various breads and cheese!
Some add Cognac or Wine.....
I have always felt the broth needed to have depth
and that you could actually taste the herbs used.....
Do you need to broil the cheese, along with the bread?
Well, this is my version and I will say...
we thought it was THE most delicious version we have
ever tried!!!

ESTELLE'S FRENCH ONION SOUP
3-4 large sweet yellow onions, preferably Vidalia
1 32-ounce carton beef broth
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 can Progresso French Onion Soup
1 stick butter
Fresh Thyme
Bay Leaves-two
Garlic Powder
Pepper to taste
1/4 cup Worcestershire 
A good loaf of Italian Bread
Fontina Cheese
Parmesan Cheese


Melt 1/4 cup butter in stockpot
Peel and slice yellow onions and season with a tiny bit of salt and pepper.
Stir the onions frequently while they are slowly browning.....


Sauté the onions until lightly caramelized





Stir in Beef Broth, Progresso Soup, garlic powder
and Worcestershire Sauce


Bring to a low boil and add Bay Leaves, fresh Thyme,
and remaining 1/4 cup butter.
Allow to simmer for one hour


Ladle soup into oven safe crocks
Slice bread and toast in a 375 degree oven until lightly toasted
into glorious croutons.
Top each crock with toasted Italian croutons
and top this with shredded Fontina Cheese.
Sprinkle with a bit of Parmesan Cheese.
I placed these back in the 375 degree oven for about
10-15 minutes until the cheese was nicely melted 


I would not change one thing..
There is something very satisfying in cooking
your own version of a classic and having it turn out so beautifully 
not to mention soooooooo delcious!


If you have made French Onion Soup,
I would love to have you share your version!

4 comments:

  1. One of my favorite soups and your version looks amazing...deep and rich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks sooooooooooooooooo good. I am an onion lover :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made French onion soup. Always been intimidated by it but you make it look so easy!
    Gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.